Sunday, April 7, 2013

Relating to Your Colleagues

Now that I have a brand I have to get it out there. I feel like a minnow in the ocean of the enormous world wide web. Hopefully, I can grow before getting eaten. The best way to do that is to get to know my colleagues, other writers, and publishing experts.  What better way to learn the industry? So far, I use twitter, facebook, and blogs, but not nearly enough. I follow the professional organizations ACFW and RWA. I've learned a lot from them, but it's time to start relating. Your can't get your brand known by lurking alone. You can't just dip a toe in the water. You have to jump in.

Of the three web sources, twitter is less personal, but you can establish a presence at the same time you increase your knowledge. It contains enormous sources of information about the industry. I choose those I follow carefully. Since I write inspirational historical romance, I follow anyone who writes in that genre. But I certainly don't restrict myself to them. Any writer can teach me something. I include most agents, publishers, and book sellers. I've been pleasantly surprised at how generous these experts share information through their blogs. They also have large followings, so I make sure to read the comments at these blogs, a good way to learn what other writers think. I'll stay the course with twitter. It takes time to grow a following, but so far I'm satisfied.

I don't use facebook much. It's more personal than twitter and I'm a private person. I know I'll have to get over that. I'll have to set up an author's page so I can follow the industry in facebook as well as in twitter. It's a good way to help authors get their message out, and help in any form is usually welcome. About all I do at present is like others and occasionally comment. Not enough. I'll have to become more active and contribute something, but what I contribute doesn't have to be writing related, so facebook may be a good way to reach readers, my ultimate goal. Facebook is more visual and I'm not a photographer, but I can snap photos of food, pets and nature, subjects I enjoy. I can relate to others' difficulties, celebrations, and humor.

I've learned you have to be selective with blogs. They consume a large amount of time, too much if you want to have time left to write. I look for active blogs with regular contributors. Honestly I believe that's more important than trying to build up my own blogs. After all, I'm doing them mostly for myself at this point. Later I'll establish a blog to entice a following, but for now I think my time is better spent contributing to others. I comment on a blog only if I have something significant to say. I don't respond to an argument, and as with twitter and facebook, only follow those I can relate to.

Finding that common ground is the best way to introduce yourself and hopefully, build a relationship. Ultimately, that's the only way to become known as a colleague.

No comments:

Post a Comment